South Africa’s fly-fishing capital
Info on the Dullstroom Dams:
- Both Town Dams are open to all members of the public – the lower dam is strictly a catch and release trophy dam.
- Access to the dams will be through the Caravan park gate and Oaklane private gate only.
- Flyfishing only – No bait fishing or spinning allowed.
- Catch limits apply to Upper Dam only, subject to the following note – anglers may fish on a catch-and-release basis as well as taking their catch limit.
- The Lower Dam is a catch and release only water – no fish may be taken under any circumstances (A R200 fine will be levied for each fish not returned to the water).
- Float tubes are permitted only on the Upper Dam, at an additional cost, subject to a maximum number of 4 float tubers per day. No boats or powered craft of any kind are permitted. Float tubers are requested to fish no closer than 50 meters to bank anglers.
- You are obliged to produce your permits at the request of any Dullstroom Dams bailiff.
- All fish that are taken are to be cleaned at the water’s edge and entrails returned to the water.
- All anglers must be in possession of a valid Mpumalanga Angling License – which they are required to produce when buying tickets (Available from Village Angler only).
Tackle sales and hire:
or on telephone 013 254 0020
Vaid’s Blue Shop
Glenshee (The Valley of the Fairies), Machadodorp. Machadodorp, on the R36, Carolina Rd.
Glenshee waters consist of 2 trout dams and a bass dam that is suitable for float tubes and kick boats. Glenshee has it’s own hatchery and the waters are stocked regularly with Rainbow and Golden trout. Day fishers are welcome. Rod fees are presently R100 per day (2010) which includes a bag of 2 trout and 2 bass. Caravan and camping facilities are available and there are club caravans available for hire.
Contact: 013 256-9349
Fly-fishing dams in other areas
If you’re looking for fly-fishing other than in the Dullstroom dams, here are some options available to you:
Still water & river fishing. Guiding & instruction. Equipment hire & tackle. Hacker’s Haven (signposted from main road) Jurassic Pond C&R trophy day waters. At the new Bird of Prey Centre just before the village coming in from Belfast is a beautiful spring fed three hectare lake. Well stocked with Rainbow and Brown trout. Stirctly catch and release, booking at the Mavungana Flyfishing Centre. Day fishing outings are on offer, with the assistance of a Mavungana guide. The rates are available from Mavungana. We also do day fishing on a beautiful farm called Onvervallei, where we own 2km of the upper Crocodile River. Fishing is entirely catch & release. High clearance or 4X4 vehicles only. Booking is essential. All rates are available from Mavungana Flyfishing.
Tel: 013 254-0270
Elandskloof Trout Dams:
Fishing in 10 dams: Rod fee includes 2 fish. Camping, chalets, pool. 9km direction Belfast, left to Machadodorp, travel for 5km.
Tel: 013 254-0136
Dunkeld Country Estate:
Fishing available in 13 Trout Dams. Fishing permits available @ Dunkeld Reception.
Tel: 013 254-0814